My Culinary Instincts

Now that the holidays are at the terminal stage, I was contemplating life that doesn’t involve mega slumbers, aimless wandering and marathon fragging to which I had to return soon. It was during one of those contemplative moods that I set about to think as to what I had done in the last quarter year of my life. (I did say I was contemplative, didn’t I?) An internship, a trek, a visit to kerala, sketching (I learnt to sketch females… human ones to be precise… ;->), joined the gym (and promptly dumped the idea as a bad job), played some chess, learnt the head stand, etc… Not bad... But I thought something is amiss. I wanted to try out something new this time. And so I decided to don the chef’s bonnet.

So the stage was set. My mummy dutifully passed the ladle over to me with an amused smile playing on her lips. It is understandable considering that I can’t make out an onion from a potato. (Not literally... But you get the idea)
Well anyway I decided to prepare SAMOSA. (sfx: stars and ‘ta ta ra’ sounds)
They say the male pride peaks in the kitchen. We just refuse to take help. It is true. But the problem was I DIDN’T KNOW to make a samosa in the first place. In fact other than the fact that it was a great snack I knew little else. So what do you think I did? Google comes to rescue. (sfx : heroic entry) So after a few minutes I stand in front of the stove with a neat print-out of the recipe in hand. The author had somehow managed to forget the 5 important questions. Read on…
It said take some chili (How many..?) and garlic. (Or was it ginger…)Fry them together. Then cut some potatoes to cubes. (How Big?) Then add garam masala, amchoor (whatever that is…), chilli powder and salt to the potatoes and mix uniformly. Take some green peas (How much?) and cook it. To make patty mix flour, oil, water and cumin seeds (???). Make dough of a uniform consistency. (ehh... how am I supposed to know when that happens?). Then spread it (Easier said than done… It took me two hours to do that). Finally mix the potatoes and peas. Mash them together. Prepare that thing to be fried and then fry it.
Well I did all that. Finally when after 5 hours of hard work when the time came to eat, I saw my mummy acting deaf to my cries of food ready and my brother nowhere in the scene. Fuming I (Optimistically) tried the samosas myself and guess what... IT WAS DELICIOUS…
I guess I have that culinary instinct after all…

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is 9% India's Limit?

The Sentinel

Our Democracy-A Farce (Part 2)