Visiting the Notre Dame cathedral

When I saw the Notre Dame cathedral from outside, I thought it was remarkable. Not awe-inspiring, just remarkable. But when I walked in, my jaw dropped. If there is a church that could convince people of Jesus, God, and Satan, the Notre Dame is probably it. This cathedral demands reverence. I took several deep breaths to let the magnificence of the place sink in - the stained glass patterns, the towering arches, the lighting, and the choice of colors. A contralto voice filled the cathedral seducing the visitors to give in to her Lord's majesty. This is a building designed to drive fear and awe into a man's heart and offer salvation in the form of a Christian God. The 200 odd years spent constructing it had most definitely been put to good use.

As I explored the place, I saw a man with long unkempt hair and a rosary tucked into this belt, bowed in prayer, and wearing what appeared to be white racing overalls. I couldn't see his face. The name "James" was embroidered on his back. He had found himself a spot in the part of the nave near the pulpit, separate from the congregation. Finding such a man in submission in that hallowed hall piqued my curiosity. He looked like a guy who would not be out of place on a podium with a bottle of champagne in one hand and a beautiful woman in the other, a living version of James "the shunt" Hunt. Maybe he was a thief who stole the racing overalls belonging someJames, a race car driver, and was now atoning for that sin. Maybe he was a stunt pilot about to try something remarkably stupid ...
 
   
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is 9% India's Limit?

The Sentinel

Our Democracy-A Farce (Part 2)